Tuesday, March 25, 2014

"Individuals in Groups"



    Individuals in Groups.
  
   We all act different when we are in groups. Carol Witz on her article "Individuals in Groups," wrote about  Psychological studies that demonstrate  individuals in groups are less alert during dangerous situations, than an individual alone. Many people have die in front of people without receiving help. Honestly I don't  feel safe being  around of many people. Why? Because I know people in groups feel less responsibility and they will wait till see someone else assisting me in case of danger.

   Being alert make me feel secure.  Most of the time I'm alone, in my commute to work, school, therefore I have to be alert about my surround. I keep my cell phone in hand just in case I have to call 911, or any of my family members. Also I learned to be attentive, there is always someone that needs help. It could be a senior citizen crossing the avenue or someone with disabilities. Few days ago I was on my way to work, and a blind woman was trying to cross the avenue, while the light was green. There were people looking at her but no one assisted her. I went close to her and I held her hand and told her to wait. We crossed the avenue together. I felt great to be able to help and she was very grateful. There were people looking at her but no one assisted her.

  Some individuals risk their own life to help. There was a good Samaritan killed while trying to help a homeless man being harassed for a group of individuals, in California. Few years ago another good Samaritan was killed in the Bronx, while helping a woman being assault. And we keep hearing this type of news, all have a common factor "a person died trying to help" it doesn't said " a group of individuals." It is easier to count with one person than many.

  We feel so confident in groups that we don't pay attention in who needs help. Our responsibility is less. We become careless. In my personal opinion i had been careless person when I was younger. I used to wait for my friend first, to have a reaction. I'm not like that anymore, I think  is part of our maturity too. As we grow we develop our real personality, also we are not surround of many friends as when we were very young. Being helpful is important as part of our develop.





  

No comments:

Post a Comment